Friday, January 23, 2009
SSRJ #1 The story of an hour by Kate Chopin
This short story caught me completely off guard and made the story that much more interesting. It started out a little mundane to my taste and not the type of story that I would read in my leisure time. The main character, a woman with a heart condition, is just something that is not on my reading list. As the story went on and it seemed like everything was fitting into place. Mrs. Mallard was starting to handle the news and calm herself then the reader is shocked with the huge twist which makes the whole story exiting and surprising.
There is nothing in my life that relates directly to the story and I hope there never is. The ending of the story reminded me of “Romeo and Juliet”. Both stories leave the reader wanting to change the outcome and somehow help the characters.
Kate Chopin used irony in this particular story. She began with the image of Mrs. Mallard wanting peace and looking at the clouds and the outdoors for comfort and “freedom”. “There stood, facing the open window, a comfortable, roomy armchair. Into this she sank, pressed down by a physical exhaustion that haunted her body and screamed to reach into her soul. She could see in the open square before her house the tops of trees that were all aquiver with the new spring life”(15). As she sat there all she longed for was freedom and peace. Sitting by the window she was “drinking in a very elixir of life”(16) and regaining the strength to live on through the days alone. The conclusion was where the author uses irony to tie in the rest of the story. As Mrs. Mallard’s assumed to be dead husband walks through the door she is overtaken with tremendous joy which causes her heart to give out and she dies. “It was Brently Mallard who entered, a little travel-stained, composedly carrying his gripsack and umbrella. He had been far from the scene of the accident, and did not know there had been one. He stood amazed at Josephine’s piercing cry; at Richards’ quick motion to screen him from the view of his wife. But Richards was too late. When the doctors came they said she had died of heart disease – of joy that kills”(16). Kate portrayed the character as wanting to be free of the pain and strong enough to continue living the rest of her life alone. As soon as Mrs. Mallard accepted that decision she ended up dying because of it.
The only thing that really stood out to me as not entirely believable was the fact that Mrs. Mallard’s grieving time was so short. “But she saw beyond that bitter moment a long procession of years to come”(16). It seems too soon to be looking past the burial ceremony and onto the rest of her life. Does anyone else think the same way?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think, for someone who is normally and emotionally stable, that yes, this would be too short of a grieving time, but I do not think that Mrs. Mallard was very emotionally stable. She was obviously very depressed and unhappy in her marriage. I also found your interpretation of "a joy that kills" very interesting. I had automatically assumed that she died because of the disappointment she felt at seeing the new life she had envisioned fade away into nothing. But I also see how she could have died from true joy at seeing her husband. Thank you for you insightful interpretation!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your thoughts on this story. You used some good quotes to help support your ideas. You raised discussion about Mrs. Mallard looking past the burial ceremony. I dont think that she was done grieving so much as she was trying to find strength to get through what was ahead. Looking towards the future can realive great stress and worry sometimes. I have to say that I too had not really considered her passing away to be from joy. It seemed to me it was overwhelming dissapointment but after reading your journal entry I had to rexamine my own interpretations and I can see it from both perspectives now.
ReplyDeleteI believe that for some people, years would be not be enough grieving time to get over the loss of a husband/wife. But taking the story and putting myself in an 1800's female perspective, maybe it's more than enough time. I can't say that Mrs. Mallard loved or did not love her late husband, but it seems to me that the marriage was so stifling that her thoughts and emotions were so overwhelming that looking forward was the only thing left to do. Sometimes the only way to get past a terrible thing like that, is to look to the future and hope for the best.
ReplyDelete