Thursday, February 5, 2009
SSRJ #3 I am the grass... by D. Walker
This time I picked the story by D. Walker for several reasons. First I thought that the introduction of the story was written to capture the reader’s attention, and it did. The mood of the story lasted throughout the entire plot. I never really knew what was going to happen next. I was sort of relieved when nothing catastrophic happened. I kept on thinking that the narrator would have a flashback to the war and do something crazy. That was not the case in the end, quite the opposite actually. He felt regret for his actions and tried to the best of his ability to help a “former enemy”. The story gathered momentum nicely and had a good flow.
The couple of things that really stood out to me were the flashbacks and the use of the grass as a symbol. When I was reading the title and then the story I was confused on how "grass" has anything to do with the story. As i read on "grass" became a symbol for “healing” and “cover-up” of the past. The flashbacks gave the story a purpose by showing the narrators inner feelings. By knowing his background we can see how difficult it would be to revisit the places which haunted his thoughts after he came back from the war. “After I was discharged from the Army, I went home to Chicago and hung around there for a couple of years, haunted by memories and nameless faces” (326). The part about the grass I did not fully understand until the very end when I finished the whole story and read the full poem by Carl Sandburg. Then all of a sudden everything tied in and made a final point. Even though the story ends with the Dinh’s hopes being shattered and his concept of life revolving in circles does not favor the outcome of the surgery. Even though the narrator was not personally involved in Dinh’s torture, he could not help but feel as though his wrong doings were somehow connected to this man’s troubles. “Because it is my nature, the fate of Dinh’s transplanted toe takes on a monumental importance”(336). Personally I had wished the story would end on a happy note with the thumb transplant working out well for Dinh. I was expecting that the whole time, since after all there has to be something good that comes out of the story. How different would the story be if the transplant took and the operation was a huge success? Would that change the way the narrator felt about his past or would it not have an impact one way or the other?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I like the way you describe feeling suspense while reading this story. Like you, it took me awhile to grasp what the significance of the title was.
ReplyDeleteI think the story could have worked with the transplant being successful, but I think the theme of the story would have been different in that case. I thought that the "thumb" symbolized what couldn't be "fixed" but that his statements about relishing the danger of his flight home and how the danger made him "one with the land" show that he did find healing. He was able to accept what had happened and that he was part of it. He was able to accept even the things that can't be "fixed". Acceptance is a form of healing. At the beginning of the story he could not accept his experiences as a soldier and by the end of his journey I think he had.
I think that Dinh's philosophy of the circle would still carry him forward. By not "clinging" (here more symbolism, you have a man without thumbs who cannot cling!) and accepting things as they come he would simply "move on". I thought the author did an amazing job of showing how the two philosophies differ using the narrator's perspective.
Good question!
I think going along with that same symbolism the transplant couldn't have worked out. It would have given us a false resolution where as it stood it left us feeling the same way the narrator did. Something had been accomplished but we were not back to whole yet. there were scars the grass couldn't cover up. just my two cents
ReplyDeleteYou had a great analysis of this story. I really enjoyed reading your thoughts. I think if the transplant had taken that the narrator would have felt a sense of things comming round full circle.
ReplyDelete