Friday, March 13, 2009

DRJ # 3

It is hard for me to connect the story and my personal life. It’s probably because of the language and the difference of current time and the time of the story. One thing that I can relate to is Hamlet’s attempt to get revenge on behalf of his murdered father. At this point in the story Hamlet is out for blood to avenge his father’s brutal murder. He has gone to great lengths to make sure that he is doing the right thing and not being tricked by the ghost of his late father. Hamlet id defiantly the main character in the story and he does have a fatal flaw. He is blinded by the revenge he seeks that he will do anything to see to it that his goal is accomplished even up to giving his own life in the pursuit. The theme in this act was mainly focused on Hamlet’s tone. He was struggling with himself throughout the act to figure out if he was right for seeking revenge for his father’s life. Almost the entire act hamlet was searching for answers. This search is what led him to confront his mother with her dishonorable deed. Hamlet showed he loves his mother but at the same time he is furious with her. Being this furious with her and the king lead him to near insanity. The story seems to imply that the queen is equally guilty of murder, but did she really have any part in it at all? Or was she merely lured into a relationship with Claudius?

3 comments:

  1. I don't think we get an answer yet to that question, but from the ghost statements in the beginning to leave her to gods judgment I get the feeling she was more lured to the uncles side after the fact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree with Tyler that the implication is that she was not in any way directly involved in the murder. I don't think she knows about the murder either. Based on her character as being "unperceptive" (she can't see the ghost) and kind of naive or possibly she is still "shell shocked" from her husband's death? I just thought of that angle. I know in real life when a close family member dies the common advice is to wait at least 90 days (? I forget exactly) before making any major decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think that she had anything to do with the King's death nor do I think that she had any knowledge of it. I do think that Claudius is manipulative and took advantage of her grief and fear of being alone.

    ReplyDelete